The Office of Respectful Environments, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (REDI) has been established to provide leadership across the Faculty of Medicine in the areas of professionalism, learner mistreatment, equity, diversity, and inclusion, anti-racism, and anti-discrimination.
- Equity in Medicine Virtual Fireside Chat: Tips for a Successful Search & SelectionEquity in Medicine will be hosting a virtual fireside chat on Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 4-5 PM PT. Our panelists will discuss principles of inclusive hiring, and practical tips to achieve a more fair and equitable search and selection process.
- My Privilege, My Responsibility: A Higher Calling To Do Better in an Era of Truth, Reconciliation & Redress with Sheila NorthJoin us virtually on Wednesday, February 15th, 2023 from 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm (PST), to learn about the activism of Sheila North, the creator of the widely used hashtag #MMIW – a movement that advocates for the end of violence against First Nations/ Indigenous women and girls.
- Black Lives, Black Voices and Black Identities in the Faculty of MedicineTo commemorate Black History Month and as part of REDI’s commitment to amplifying IBPOC voices, we invite you to join our panel on Friday, February 17th, 2023, from 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm (PST).
- View Government of Canada resources on Black History MonthThe 2023 theme for Black History Month is: “Ours to tell”. This theme represents both an opportunity to engage in open dialogue and a commitment to learning more about the stories Black communities in Canada have to tell about their histories, successes, sacrifices and triumphs.
- Watch: Where are all the Black People?: Underrepresentation in the AcademyWatch recordings of this UBC speakers series which foregrounds Black voices in fields where Blackness is particularly underrepresented, and provide actionable and measurable strategies to UBC to increase Black representation and Black excellence in these fields.
- Celebrating Black History MonthCelebrate the Black History Month and engage with these events and programs happening across the university!
- It Starts With Us: Contextualizing and Educating about the HolocaustWatch the recording of “It Starts With Us: Contextualizing and Educating about the Holocaust,” in commemoration of the International Holocaust Remembrance Day.
- IBPOC Voices: A Conversation with Dr. Anita PalepuWatch the recording for “IBPOC Voices: A Conversation with Dr. Anita Palepu”. Dr. Palepu, MD, MPH, FRCPC, MACP, FCAHS is a Professor and Eric W. Hamber Chair, Department of Medicine at UBC and Providence Health Care.
- IBPOC Voices: A conversation with Dr. Kiran VeerapenWatch the recording for a conversation with Dr. Kiran Veerapen. Dr. Veerapen is the Assistant Dean of Faculty Development, and Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Medicine. She is committed to remaining responsive to emerging needs in undergraduate and postgraduate education in the Faculty of Medicine.